Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Next 5000 Days of the Internet - Kevin Kelly

In reflection to what Kevin Kelly, had to say in The Next 5000 Days of the Internet Mr. Kelly talked about what has happened since the start of the technological beginning of computers and the Internet. He also talked about what he perceives to happen in the next 5000 days of the Internet or approximately 13.698 years.

When I think about what he said it makes sense that we will become even more dependent on computers and technology. I mean it is replacing things like the library card catalog system and we need to learn how to use computers just to check out a book at the library. Doctor's offices, and Hospitals are converting to Electronic medical health records so you can go any where and have access to your medical records if there is a computer and you have the correct access codes or programs.

They are trying to program computers to help people with injuries to walk again and people that are blind to give them some sort of sight. People are becoming very dependent on wireless telephones and cell phones. There are some people that actually do not know what a party line is. They think that a rotary phone dial is odd or different. I was on the phone the other day with someone and they wanted me to do something and kept talking to me. I think they assumed that I had a portable phone. I had to interrupt them and say if they wanted me to do what they asked me to do that they had to stop talking with me because I cannot do it while on the phone since it was attached to the wall.

Another example is the fact that music was something you had to go to or play an instrument or sing, then there was the music box where the metal strips twanged when the bumps went by them, Then to more complex machines like Victrola. We Then it moved to different types of vinyl records. We cannot forget the radio. Then to the different types of cassettes like 8track, then tape cassettes. Then there was the big rave the Walkman and the outrageous price that went with them. Then came the Cd's which replaced the Vinyl LP's. And the portable CD player replaced the Walkman. And now their are IPod's and Mp3 players which have replaced the portable CD players.

I do not know what the next 5000 days will bring since technology is changing so fast and the big computers and electronics are getting smaller but also holding much more information and able to do so much more than what it could just a few months ago. It is a scary prospect to think that eventually computers will be in control and know every thing we say and or do.

2 comments:

csrose said...

I am attempting to organize all of these blogs so that I don't miss reading anyones posts each week. I was wondering how you got all of the link for our classmates into your blog? I have been clicking the follow button so that I can keep track of everyone but I have noticed that you and some of our other classmates do not have a follow button on your blogs. Thank you in advance for the help!

Chelsea

kaytmay said...

Hi Missy,
I think you make some really good points about people not remembering the old ways. I think that there will always be those who choose to keep their old technology, but how important is it that the new generations learn from whence all these advances came? In incorporating all of this technology into our lives, there is no question that we are losing something. The question is, will we miss it? And how freely should we let it all go?
Thanks,
Katie May